SPA-500 is a pre-drain hot tub scrub, designed to remove organics and other contaminants within the spa system before draining, rinsing, and refilling.
SPA-500 Pre-Drain Spa Scrub is our concentrated spa system cleaner. It is CV-600 based, but with additives that make it much stronger for concentrated cleaning of plumbing systems. This procedure covers dosing, directions for use, and best practices.
Related: How to Implement the Orenda Program
You may need:
- A garden hose (to rinse out the spa system's pipes)
- A clock or stopwatch (if you don't want to estimate 5-10 minutes)
With SPA-500, round the dose up to the nearest eight-ounce (8 fl.oz.) quantity. Eight ounces treats 500 gallons. So if you have an 800-gallon spa, round up and use two bottles (16 fl.oz. total).
|Spa/Hot Tub volume||SPA-500 Dose|
|up to 500 gallons (1893 L)||8 fl.oz. (237 mL)|
|501-1000 gallons (up to 3785 L)||16 fl.oz. (0.47 L)|
How to use SPA-500
Follow the instructions on the back of the bottle. Here they are:
SPA-500 is only to be used prior to draining and refilling. There is no weekly maintenance dosing.
- Shake the bottle well before use.
- Remove filter cartridge from the spa and clean separately.
- Turn on the spa circulation and jets.
- Pour SPA-500 anywhere in the water (8 fl.oz./500 gallons).
- (ON) Run spa with all jets and blowers on for 5-10 minutes.
- (OFF) Shut off the system and keep it off for 5-10 minutes.
- (ON) After being shut off for 5-10 minutes, run the system again for 5-10 minutes.
- (DRAIN) After 5-10 minutes of running, shut off the system and drain the spa completely.
- (RINSE) Thoroughly rinse with fresh water, including running a water hose through the skimmer/suction line.
- After the spa is completely drained and rinsed:
- When in doubt, rinse it out. More rinsing is never a bad idea. If you're not sure you have given it enough time to flush water through the suction line, then keep flushing.
- Run it longer if you want to. The second run of the pipes (step 7 in the directions) can be as long as you need it to be. We say 5-10 minutes, but if you wanted 15-20 minutes you could. Just be aware that there could be heavy foaming.
- Never add SPA-500 when people are in the water. While SPA-500 is NSF-50 certified, that certification is for when the product is used as directed. The directions clearly say "Do not use with bathers in the water" for a reason. This is a strong chemical. Keep out of reach of children.
- Round up to the nearest 8 oz. dose. Unlike most Orenda products, SPA-500 does not need a measuring cup. Just use it in 8 oz. increments, and always round up if you're not sure. It's going to be drained anyway.